This Pomegranate Kombucha is an easy and festive kombucha flavor for trying out on your next batch of home brewed kombucha! Made with black or green tea kombucha, this step-by-step guide gets you on your way to probiotics packed pomegranate kombucha easily.
We’ve been anxiously waiting for pomegranates to go back in season so we could make kombucha! Because something about the fizzy tartness of kombucha just begs to be paired with pomegranate.
Never mind the fact that after all of the waiting for fresh pomegranates, we’re simply using store bought pomegranate juice here (because who has time for the mess of juicing them yourself?). But that’s not to say you couldn’t sprinkle a few pomegranate arils in this kombucha for an ultra-festive pop of color.
We’re throwing in a few slivers of fresh ginger for added zing and fizz. You could also throw in some orange or lemon juice (or zest) for an added pop of flavor!
There are two main fermentation phases when making homemade kombucha:
- First Fermentation: This is when you transform sweet tea into tart and delicious kombucha (see our guide to homemade kombucha here).
- Second Fermentation: This is when you carbonate the kombucha by adding flavor and sugars (like pomegranate juice and ginger) and bottling it.
In order to make this Pomegranate Kombucha, you will need to have completed the first fermentation and have some kombucha that’s ready to be carbonated!
Ingredients for this pomegranate ginger kombucha
- Kombucha: You have brewed your kombucha in the first fermentation and are ready to flavor it (first fermentation instructions here).
- Pomegranate Juice: We opt for store bought pomegranate juice here, which is easier that tackling the messy pomegranate fruit. A cold-pressed organic pomegranate juice is best for making those taste buds sing!
- Ginger: Fresh grated ginger is magic in kombucha, adding major fizz factor.
“Instead of using black tea to make the kombucha for the pomegranate flavored kombucha, I use 2 tbsp loose leaf rooibis tea in F1. It is amazing! Goes so well with the pomegranate and ginger taste!”
How to make pomegranate kombucha
Making your own pomegranate kombucha is super easy. The process goes something like this:
- Bottle: Evenly distribute pomegranate juice and fresh ginger into fermentation bottles. Pour in kombucha, leaving 1 to 2 inches free at the top
- Ferment: For 3 to 10 days (in a dark place, like a cupboard) until it reaches the carbonation level you like.
- Enjoy: Chill in the fridge before serving, optionally straining out the fibers.
Home Brewed Pomegranate Kombucha
- ½ gallon kombucha from a first fermentation this is not store bought kombucha, 1.9 L
- ½ cup pomegranate kombucha can sub cranberry juice, 120 mL
- 1 thumb fresh ginger grated or sliced
- Ferment: Place in a dark, room temperature area for 3 to 10 days, until it reaches the carbonation level you like. This process will go faster in warmer climates, and slower in cooler climates.
- Enjoy: Chill in the fridge before serving, optionally straining out fibers. Can be stored in the fridge, tightly sealed, for several weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.